Jewish Man Brutally Murdered By Mob in Australia
Charles first pointed out this story however I want to comment on the way the story is described in the foreign (Australian in this case) press.
Australian Press carried this story -
Two wanted after Israeli fatally stabbed
By Paul Mulvey
August 06, 2006 06:41pm
Article from: AAP
- TWO men are wanted by police over the stabbing murder of a former Israeli soldier outside a Bondi shop, in an attack which lasted only seconds. (bolded in the actual article note)
Notice this is the first sentence... a subtle and (bolded in the actual article) direct attempt to let you know this guy is Israeli and an "ex soldier" so that may "explain and/or justify" it at least.... even though the assailants are NOT ONCE referred to as being suspected of or being Muslim.
Note, that EVERY Israeli is an "ex soldier" as they are all obligated to some sort of service. Imagine if a 9-11 victim of terror was referred to as an "ex soldier" who maybe even served in Lebanon or Afghanistan!!
- The victim was attacked by at least two men whom witnesses say jumped out of a car, bashed him with a pole or similar object, and left him with multiple stab wounds to the back and stomach.
- Witnesses said a carload of men bashed the 36-year-old victim, named by Channel 10 as Arnon Gelman, at about 9.45pm (AEST) yesterday, although police were uncertain how many were involved.
- When police arrived at the scene, outside the Glenayr Convenience Store at the intersection of Glenayr Avenue and Curlewis Street, Mr Gelman was slumped on the footpath in deep pools of blood.
- Police are trying to contact Mr Gelman's family in Israel.
- It is believed he had lived in Australia for three years and had applied for permanent residency.
- "He was a very, very nice guy, he was a bit of a go-getter, he knew what he wanted," friend Gary Levine told Ten News.
- "I think he was going to go far, this is a total shock." Witnesses say they heard shouting on the footpath before the attack. Superintendent Mark Walton said detectives were trying to establish a motive but said it was not connected with the conflict in Lebanon between Israel and Hezbollah. Supt Walton said the attack would have been over in an instant. "These attacks last seconds rather than minutes," he said.
How does the guy definitively know how long it lasted? He can't assume (see bottom) anything about the attackers or the attack relating to the victim's religion or nationality playing any part in the attack nor is the assailant's potential status as Muslims and likely Lebanese as many Muslim immigrants there are - nor is it ever even brought up - but he's "sure" the attack only lasted seconds?
- One of the men wanted by police is described as 178cm tall, of medium build with shoulder length dark hair and clean shaven, wearing jeans and a black top. A second man is 170cm tall, of medium build with short, dark hair. "We are trying to determine how many people were involved but at this stage we are focused on those two men," Supt Walton said outside Bondi Police Station.
- "We have neither recovered or have a good description of the weapon." Detectives are hunting for a green Mitsubishi Pajero with New South Wales registration SVJ 201 that was seen driving in Glenayr Avenue immediately after the attack.
- "The motivation in relation to this incident is unknown at this stage," Supt Walton said. "We are very open-minded but there is nothing in relation to information or evidence that it is connected to this man's nationality or religious background."
- The attack comes six months after six people were taken to hospital after being stabbed in Bondi.
- "There are always grave concerns about incidents like this but I don't believe it's indicative of what happens in Bondi on a weekend," Supt Walton said.